Frequently Asked Questions from Applicants
*With my background, what am I eligible for?
- If you are graduating from high school, you are eligible to start in Design 1 of the M.Arch 5/6 program. The first two years are undergraduate and the remainder are at the graduate level.
- If you are currently fulfilling your first two years of foundation work at a community college, you will jump into the M.Arch 5/6 with the first two years already done. The remainder of your work here will be at the graduate level.
- If you have already earned an accredited Bachelor’s degree in a non-design field, you are eligible to apply to our 3 year program. This is also referred to as the M.Arch 3 program.
- If you have already earned a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, you may apply to our 2 year Master of Architecture program.
- Still confused? Call the School of Architecture at (305)348-7500 to speak with a representative.
*I am a transfer student. What classes should I take to be a competitive applicant?
*Why do I need a professional/Master’s degree?
- Currently, in the state of Florida, professionals must pass state-designed exams before earning licensure to practice. Earning a professional degree is one of the essential steps towards being eligible to take the exam.
*Why don’t you offer a BA/BA degree?
- Our accreditation is for your undergraduate master’s programs. We shifted our curriculum to this model in 2009 in an effort to benefit our students. The program is now a seamless transition from the undergraduate foundation to the professional degree.
*What costs should I expect?
- Tuition is paid per credit. Currently, the total per credit cost for in-state undergraduates is $203.59 and for in-state graduate students $493.78. Out-of-state undergraduates pay $616.89 per credit hour and out-of-state graduate students pay $997.86 per credit.
- For the most up-to-date information on tuition, please consult the FIU Office of Financial Aid.
*What about my materials, supplies, etc?
- Please expect to purchase materials like chipboard each semester. General printing costs in our lab are covered by your tuition. Only the 3D printer has an additional cost.
*Do I need a laptop?
- Yes, a laptop is required. For more information on our laptop initiative, please click here.
*What if my GPA isn’t a 3.0?
- If you are a graduate applicant, you may supplement your application with the GRE exam.
- For undergraduates, this is a strict requirement.
*How do I apply; how much will it cost?
- Applying to FIU’s School of Architecture is a two-step process. The cost for the online application is $30. There is no additional fee to submit a portfolio.
- Apply online – Students may apply using the application found online. If you are a high school student or transfer student, use the application found on the Undergraduate Admissions website. If you already have a Bachelor’s degree, use the one found on the Graduate Admissions website.
- Submit your portfolio – Portfolios should be neatly bound and adhere to the 8.5×11 size requirement. It should be representative of your work, and may also include artistic pieces not related to the design field (eg. Paintings, pastels, drawings, photography).
- For more information on the application process, please click here.
*How do I get a Panther ID?
- After you apply using the online university application, you will receive a confirmation email with your Panther ID number. Memorize this number; it will help you access various tools at FIU. You should also place this number on your portfolio.
*Will your faculty and staff be at any upcoming events?
- Please check back for an updated schedule.
*What if I want to visit?
- Please call the College of Architecture + The Arts to set up a tour. Our main office can be reached at 305 348 7500.
Academic and Campus Life FAQS
*How does parking work?
- Parking fees are already assessed in your tuition. This fee cannot be waived as it contributes to parking facilities, student shuttle services, and road improvements. To order your decal, please visit the Department of Parking and Transportation.
*Who are my professors?
- Professors in the School of Architecture are creative, innovative, and well equipped to provide a competitive education for the ever-changing world of design. To view in-depth faculty profiles, please click here.
*Who will help me pick my classes?
- The College of Architecture + The Arts has a team of dedicated academic advisors, readily available to provide guidance with course selection and keep you on track for an on-time graduation. Please click here for more information.
*Where will I live?
- While you are not required to live on-campus, studies show that students living on campus are more involved in academic and extracurricular activities. In addition to being more satisfied with their overall university experience, students who live on-campus also tend to succeed at higher rates than the general university student.
- Lakeview Hall is the residential community set aside for undergraduate students in the College of Architecture + The Arts. In addition to amenities like Wi-Fi lounges, laundry facilities, and paid utilities, students are able to access free tutoring and student programming through Housing staff.
- There are also on-campus housing facilities for graduate students.
- For information on rates and deadlines, please refer to Housing & Residential Life.
*Where will I eat?
- Florida International University has no shortage of places to eat. Students may opt to purchase a dining plan, or visit one of our 23 coffee shots, quick service, or sit-down restaurants. Recent additions to please your taste buds are Chili’s, Chic-Fil-A, and Dunkin’ Donuts. The university strives to accommodate the dietary needs of all our students and provides ample vegetarian and kosher options. Visit the shopFIU Restaurants page for more information.
*Purchasing a dining plan:
- FIU serves many types of students, so there are 6 different meal plans to offer flexibility and convenience. Plans can be purchased online at shopFIU.
- While not required, purchasing a dining card saves you 10% off meal purchases across campus.
*Where will I study?
- There are two libraries here at FIU, but don’t think that you are limited to those two spaces. Students are found studying all over campus, from the Barnes and Noble FIU Bookstore and the Starbucks Lounge to our 24/7 studio spaces in the School of Architecture.
*Who will be my friends?
- With a total student body of 46,000, you have quite the pool to pick from.
- The unique studio culture we offer makes it easy to get to know your design classmates. Late nights in the studio make it easy to bond quickly.
- APX, ASLA, AIAS, and the Interior Architecture Student Organization are just a few of the student organizations at FIU.
*What can I do for fun?
- As a Division 1 school, we boast 13 premier sporting teams including Football, Soccer, Swimming, and Cross Country.
- Florida International University has over 200 student clubs and organizations for you to participate in. From Greek Life to service organizations, there is something for every interest.
- You can also watch your fellow Panthers onstage at our Wertheim Performing Arts Center. Four plays are put on every year, in addition to the dozens of musical performances offered every semester.
*What if I get sick?
- FIU has a comprehensive University Health Services Office.
- Walk-in immunizations are given throughout the year for MMR, Hepatitis B, and Meningitis.
- On weekdays, Health Services also acts as a Pharmacy for over-the-counter and prescription needs.
- In an effort to improve your overall wellness, Health Services also offers stress management courses, acupuncture, and massages.