Equity and Equality of the Sexes in Communication:
Are Women Getting There?
North Miami, Florida
Florida International University
Biscayne Bay Campus, WUC Ballroom
April 21, 2016
The Lillian Lodge Kopenhaver Center for the Advancement of Women in Communication at Florida International University will host a national one-day conference and feature keynote speaker Susan Goldberg, Editorial Director of National Geographic Partners and Editor-In-Chief of National Geographic Magazine, and the first woman editor-in-chief of National Geographic magazine. The conference will bring together industry professionals and scholars from around the country to discuss and analyze the status and role of women in communication, emphasizing their role in leadership positions in the fields of advertising, broadcasting, digital media, magazines, journalism and public relations.
Conference participants will focus on a broad range of topics related to women in communications and address the theme, “Equity and Equality of the Sexes in Communication: Are Women Getting There?” The keynote speech will be followed by panel discussions of researchers in the field who will discuss issues related to theme of the conference. The results of the 2016 national research study conducted by the center, “Are Communications Professionals Achieving Their Potential?,” will be released. The research will show the reality of the role of women in communication today.
Set in Miami, Florida, and located at the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Florida International University, the Kopenhaver Center organizes and sponsors programs and research dedicated to empowering women in leadership roles in the field of communication.
The conference will be livestreamed at Go.Fiu.Edu/Kopenhaver
Thursday, April 21, 2016, FIU – BBC Campus, WUC Ballroom
Conference Program Agenda
Registration – 12:15 p.m.
Welcome – 1 p.m.
- Lillian Lodge Kopenhaver, Executive Director, Kopenhaver Center for the Advancement of Women in Communication, School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Florida International University
- Brian Schriner, Dean, School of Journalism and Mass Communication, College of Architecture and the Arts, Florida International University
- “Practicing Journalism while Female,” Susan Goldberg, Editorial Director of National Geographic Partners and Editor-In-Chief of National Geographic Magazine
Press Conference – 2:15 p.m.
- Judy VanSlyke Turk, Research Fellow, Kopenhaver Center for the Advancement of Women in Communication, Florida International University, and professor emerita, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Release of survey results, “Are Communication Professionals Achieving Their Potential?”
Panel – 3:15 p.m.
“Where are the Women? Why is Female Leadership Lacking at the Top of Communications Fields?”
- Robyn Goodman, Department of Advertising, University of Florida-Gainesville
- Maria Santana, Women’s and Gender Studies, University of Central Florida
- Noemi Marin, School of Communication and Multimedia Studies, Florida Atlantic University
- Kelly Page Werder, Zimmerman School of Advertising and Mass Communications, University of South Florida
- Tracy Everbach, Mayborn School of Journalism, University of North Texas, moderator
“Women at Work: Perceptions and Aspirations”
- “Silence of the Girls,” Genelle I. Belmas and Peter Bobkowski, William Allen White School of Journalism & Mass Communications, University of Kansas
- “What Women Tell Women About Working in Communication,” Robert Gutsche, Jr. and Samiyyah Black, School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Florida International University
- “Far from Parity: Women Still Under-represented in U. S Media,” Cristal Williams Chancellor, Director of Communications, Women’s Media Center, Washington DC
- “Are We There Yet?: Updating the Question for Women in Sports Journalism,” Molly Yanity, Quinnipiac University
- “The Relationship between College Women’s Journalistic Career Aspirations and their Perceptions of Female Television News Personalities,” Halie Wenhold, University of Michigan
- Sigal Segev, School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Florida International University, moderator
Accommodations for conference participants will be at the Newport Beachside Hotel & Resort. 16701 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, Florida 33160 305-949-1300 Toll Free 1-800-327-5476