Dean’s Newsletter | Coronavirus
March 23, 2020
Dear CARTA Students,
We recognize these are very uncharted territories for all of us.
The University continues to be fully operational, while not on campus. This is a compilation of resources for you to consider should you be facing any difficulties.
- CARTA Office of Student Services remains available to you for academic advising through Zoom and telephone appointments. You can visit us at fiu.edu for more information. Please see below for department specific resource to get in touch with your academic advisors:
- School of Architecture: contact email@example.com.
- Department of Art + Art History: Email Maida Purdy and Maria Parrilla.
- School of Music and Department of Theatre: Email Gerry Suarez.
- School of Communication and Journalism + Media send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Communication Arts: Call 305-348-1255 and an appointment will be scheduled for them with an advisor.
- The FIU Student Health Clinics are only seeing student by appointment only. Please call 305-348-8385 to schedule an appointment. For additional information, you can also visit their website.
- All of the healthy living program and Counseling and Psychological (CAPS) services are available remotely. The Student Health Clinic is available in person (prior appointment is required). They are also providing certain services remotely. You can reach them at call 305-348-2277 and leave a message for a call back. Voicemails are being checked every 5-10 minutes, or visit their website for more information.
- The Disability Resource Center continues to be available to provide support and facilitate services remotely. Visit their website for general information about services during this time. Please call 305-348-3532 or email email@example.com for the MMC campus and firstname.lastname@example.org for BBC.
- The University’s Office of the Dean of Students and the Office of the Ombudsperson are meeting with students through phone or zoom appointments as well. Students/faculty/staff/ can emailDOS@fiu.edu to request a meeting with the Dean of Students or they can email OMBUDS@fiu.edu to schedule an appointment with the Ombuds.
We encourage you to review the information above and to continue practicing social and physical distancing to keep yourself, your friends, and your family safe. Please act to break the chain of transmission, as older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions may be at higher risk for more serious complications from COVID-19. Please continue to monitor the FIU homepage for virus updates, www.fiu.edu, as well as the Center For Disease Control and Prevention, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html
We are here to assist you and answer any questions you may have. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.
College of Communication, Architecture + The Arts
CARTA is where we help you begin to craft your vision. As an interdisciplinary college that develops the next generation of creators, we offer unique learning experiences within Miami’s only public research university. You can learn from and work with award-winning faculty, in nationally-ranked, accredited programs in the heart of one the country’s most vibrant, diverse, and creative cities.
Each of the disciplines housed in CARTA informs the way we think, interact, and relate with each other. These disciplines make us “human” in every sense of the word. CARTA inspires and feeds creativity, problem-solving skills, and resiliency. Sparking dialogue through our design, visual and performing arts, and communication. Devising ways to improve the world for the next generation.
We are your launching point to what’s next. From researching the impacts of climate change to augmented reality to immersive concert experiences and mesmerizing theater productions; From the seagrass to the sawgrass- our faculty will help you develop a meaningful future.
It’s your future: Create it.