Interior Designer II | Staples, Inc.
The primary role of the Interior Designer II is to lead a team that consults with clients and industry influencers to solve workplace problems, providing furniture solutions and finish/material selections. Additionally, they create and deliver client presentations that sell design solutions, as well as creating digital renderings to aid in visual communication. This role actively participates in promoting the sale of interior design services to clients. They participate in industry professional organizations to represent the company to the architecture and design, real estate and facilities markets. This role assists in mentoring new interior designers and provides guidance to current interior designers and salespeople. This role has a solid design foundation with several years of experience in working with clients on detail driven projects. The Designer will have a grasp of the nuances and specific skillsets found in workplace design and contract furniture and be comfortable applying them to their produced designs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promotes the sale of interior design services through consultative process in the sales cycle with supporting research and business case information.
- Provide consultative design services including but not limited to producing 2D/3D drawings, specifications, and finish selections throughout the project opportunity.
- Presents solutions to sales and client as required and coordinate work with internal clients.
- Provides oversight and review of design related to specification checks, code reviews, and coordination of details related to the project management requirements
- Mentor Interior Designer I.
- Participates in industry organizations to represent the company within the Architecture and Design markets as well as Real Estate and Facilities markets.
- Pre-Design and Programming : Using Consultative Design Skills, Interpreting customer needs through interviews, on site visits, meetings with client, assisting the client with scope clarification, budget development, project timeline expectations, project phasing, long range strategic design planning and the integration of design services with other consultants.
- Conceptual and Schematic Phase: Creative and innovative design concepts that address user needs, work flow, brand identity, budgets, timeframes, integration of existing products, typicals and furnishing standards, building finishes and the integration of a cohesive design statement. Familiar with local and national codes and ADA.
- Design Development: Space planning, furniture product selection and specification and application in AutoCad, Cap, Visual Impressions and other software tools as available. Moderate / advanced level of product specification and application knowledge.
- Specifications and Quoting: Provides furniture specifications in form of CAP Worksheet.
- Remain engaged throughout sales cycle up to order placement; providing project record keeping and storage of design document at project conclusion.
- Coordinates and attends all meetings and appointments timely.
- Participates in CEU’s and training as made available.
Qualifications / Minimum Education Requirements:
- 4- 6 years of related experience
- Bachelors Degree or Associates / Technical Degree
Essential Skills Required:
- Must demonstrate a high level of thought leadership, design strategy and an overall understanding of the workplace.
- Specific understanding and application of theories or principles of commercial interiors and business in general.
- Skilled in design oversight and review relative to codes, prevailing laws, and constructability.
- Excellent verbal and written skills; providing presentations at local, state & C-suite levels as may be required.
- Ability to work well under pressure, balance and prioritize multiple projects and adjust work accordingly, often against tight deadlines.
- Skilled in AutoCad.
- Additional skills in Cap and other technical design programs preferred.
- Membership and active participation in any of the following professional organizations, IIDA, ASID, AIA, AAHID, IFMA.
- Human relations skills required to motivate and influence internal and external clients.
- Training and Coaching Skills to assist as needed with Interior Designers I.