Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in CARTA
Elman Exhibition At Historic Hampton House:
Artist Raymond Elman’s First Person Portraits: Hampton House Performers & Patrons
An exhibition of Elman’s 40 x 60 inch, mixed-media portraits of people who were patrons or performers at the Historic Hampton House during the 1960s + storytelling by people in the portraits. OPENING: FEB 1 & 2. 3-6 PM AT THE HISTORIC HAMPTON HOUSE.
*Bring Your Smartphone + Headphones Or Earbuds.
“Covering Diverse Communities in South Florida.”
School of Communication + Journalism
Location: BBC campus
Donovan Campbell will be the moderator and Jawan Strader will be among the panelists. It will be on Thursday, February 17 from 11am to 1pm at BBC and made public over Zoom. The Zoom audience will participate. More details to come.
CARTA BLACK HISTORY DEI IG Take Over Day
Location: Instagram LIVE: @FIUcarta
Celebrate Black History Month with CARTA’s Diversity Equity and Inclusion team: This DEI Take over will include a series of IG lives related to the topics listed below: Black Community Health, CARTA Careers, Ratcliffe Stars entrepreneurs, Real Talk roundtable with Black women leaders in CARTA (Dr. Karla Kennedy, Linda Lara, Juliette Saint Louis). AfroLatinidad-Student Perspective, AfroLatinidad-Professional Perspective & Black Professional Network. Be sure to check out our IG stories on this day to participate in Q&A’s, Trivia questions plus many more opportunities to win some CARTA swag and prizes .The winner of our CARTA annual “Unite the Mic” spoken word contest will also be announced on this day.
Leisure | Exhibition by Carrington Ware
Location: Washington Gallery at Miami Beach Urban Studios
Join us for the opening reception of Leisure by Carrington Ware. (To learn more about Carrington Ware, click here.)
Mundane meets imagination in Carrington Ware’s Leisure series of colorful illustrations. Inspired by the routine of everyday life, the series explores “the little things” in context of down time amongst black women. Relaxation as resistance and pleasure as power, the series highlights the beauty of comfort and care.
Spoken Word Competition
Submission Deadline: Monday February 27st at 11:59pm
Unite the Mic
Calling all spoken word poets! Words have the power to connect and unite us. FIU CARTA is challenging all interested poets to create and submit an original piece centered around the theme of UNITY.
- Spoken word is a piece of creative writing that is best delivered through performance, so it can be a story, poetry or some combination of rap.
- You don’t need to necessarily be in the video, but it can feature audio of your voice reciting your piece.
- You may use costumes, props, music and visual aids to share your spoken word performance.
- To enter the contest, you must be an active student at the FIU College of Communication, Architecture + The Arts.
- Your spoken word piece must be two minutes max in length . If it exceeds, the two-minute maximum, the submission will be disqualified.
- Submission format: A link to a YouTube video.
- Deadline: Please submit the video link to Jssaintl@fiu.edu no later than Monday, February 21 at 11:59 p.m.
- 1st place: $500
- 2nd place: $300
- 3rd place: $200
12:00-1:00 PM ET
Meet and Greet the Divine Nine
Online Event (Zoom)
Meet and greet members of each of the 4 historically Black Greek letter organizations at FIU. Given the events of the inauguration and the constant mention of the Divine Nine, this event will help put the spotlight on black sororities and fraternities at FIU. The event will focus more on the history, importance and benefits of being a part of a Fraternity and Sorority. Don’t miss out on a chance to meet faculty, staff and alumni from FIU chapters.