The interior design program leading to the Master of Interior Architecture (MIA) is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation, www.accredit-id.org , 206 Grandville Avenue, Suite 350, Grand Rapids, MI, 49503.
The CIDA-accredited program prepares students for entry-level interior design practice, for advanced study, and to apply for membership in professional interior design organizations. The Master of Interior Architecture (MIA) granted by Florida International University, Department of Interior Architecture, meets the educational requirement for eligibility to sit for the National Council for Interior Design Qualification Examination (NCIDQ Exam). For more information about NCIDQ Exam eligibility visit: https://www.cidq.org/eligibility-requirements.
The Master of Interior Architecture degree prepares graduates to follow the interior design professional career path. There are three steps to earning a license here in Florida.
Step 1: Accredited Interior Design Education
- The Masters of Interior Architecture is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA).
- For more information on the requirements and meaning of CIDA Accreditation, please click on the link below.
Accreditation and CIDA | accredit-id.org
Step 2: Work experience
- Graduates with an accredited degree work for a prescribed number of hours under a licensed interior designer or architect to qualify for the exam.
Step 3: Testing
- Interior Architecture graduates complete their interior design education by taking the NCIDQ Exam. The NCIDQ Exam is recognized in the United States and Canada as the qualifying exam for the interior design profession. As such, states and provinces with registration (licensing) statutes have stipulated that interior design professionals must successfully complete the NCIDQ Exam in order to be licensed. (Source)
- The state of Florida regulates the interior design profession through the Board of Architecture and Interior Design. This organization awards Interior Design licenses to qualified individuals. Interior design licenses certify for the public that the licensed individual or business is qualified to practice commercial interior design and to stamp and seal interior design drawings. Education, experience and testing qualify individuals for an interior design license. Interested in learning more about applying for an interior design license? The following link describes the process for license application: http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/arch/.