Abel Mestre Scholarship
Abel Mestre, a radio and TV pioneer in Cuba, strongly defended the principles of a democratic system and freedom of the press. His family established this scholarship in his memory in 2002.
This scholarship is offering up to $1,000.
For consideration, the applicant must meet the following minimum requirements:
- A junior or senior student enrolled in the Lee Caplin School of Journalism & Media during the award period.
- must be enrolled full time (12 credits) during the award period (fall and spring semesters).
- a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, who was born in Cuba or whose parent or grandparent was born in Cuba (submit proof).
- a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- submit a 2-page typewritten (double-spaced) essay about your career goals, reasons for choosing the profession, and where you would like to work in the future.
- submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty member (LCSJM faculty preferred).