To provide students a vehicle for further academic growth. The internship should build on the learning experience already experienced within the department.
1. The internship program shall be open to all Communication majors who have achieved a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on courses taken within the school.
2. The student must have successfully completed the required/elective SCJ courses in his/her sequence as follows:
MMC 3104 – Writing Strategies
MMC 3602 – Mass Media & Society
1. Students must submit a current SASS report to obtain a permit to register.
2. The student shall register and pay for credit for the internship; all internships must be registered for prior to the end of drop/add. This is a major commitment requiring a student to work a set number of hours a week for the semester. Internships are only given for 3 semester hours of credit/300 hours of work.
3. The internship must be approved in advance and monitored by the internship coordinator.
4. The student may engage in only one internship.
5. The student will receive a letter grade for the internship
6. The student must pursue an internship at an organization in which he/she is not presently, or has not previously been, employed. Exceptions to this must be a bona fide new experience and with the consent of the internship coordinator.
7. ALL INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS MUST SEEK PRIOR APPROVAL FROM THE OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL STUDENT AND SCHOLAR SERVICES IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE IN AN INTERNSHIP.
The goal of the department is to secure payment for internships. At a minimum, the student should receive a stipend for travel, meals, parking and other out-of-pocket expenses.
Beginning the Internship
1. The student who wishes to seek an internship must
- Have the school’s Internship Contract completed by the internship host supervisor and the faculty advisor (if a faculty member has given advice on the placement), and approved by the internship coordinator or chair. The student will keep one copy to give to the host supervisor; one copy will stay with the coordinator to be placed in the student’s file. The student should read and follow the guidelines in the internship syllabus, which will be provided to the student by the coordinator.
2. The internship host supervisor shall
- Provide a statement of the job description.
- Complete and sign the Internship Contract and return it to the student who will return it to the faculty advisor along with the written list of activities and responsibilities of the intern. Click HERE for the Internship Contract.
3. The internship coordinator shall
- Ensure that the student has a 3.0 GPA in courses in the SCJ and has completed all necessary courses for the internship.
- Sign the Internship Contract and Issue a Permit for Enrollment.
- Forward a syllabus to the student.