Internships may be a valuable learning experience, therefore, the School of Communication + Journalism facilitates internships to provide the student with a vehicle for further academic and professional growth. As part of the learning process, the student must negotiate the internship with the internship host organization.
Full admission (UDBJM) to SCJ
The student must have successfully completed the required/elective SCJ courses in the sequence as follows:
MMC 3104 Writing Strategies
MMC 3602 Mass Media and Society
MMC 4200 Mass Communication Law & Ethics
VIC 3002 Visual Design for Media
JOU 3003 Principles of Journalism
JOU 3343L Print News Workshop
RTV 3301 Broadcast News Reporting*
JOU 3117 Print News Reporting**
* For broadcast journalism students the added successful completion of RTV 3301 before embarking on an internship is recommended.
**For print journalism students the added successful completion of JOU3117 before embarking on an internship is recommended.
- The student must register for JOU 4946; the internship must be registered for prior to the end of the drop/add period. Students will receive a Pass/Fail grade.
- An internship is a major commitment requiring the student to work a set number of hours a week for the semester, as follows: Zero credit/100 hours/semester. Students will receive a Pass/Fail grade.
- The internship must be approved in advance and monitored by the faculty internship advisor.
- The internship must be in the host organization’s news department.
- The student will do an internship in a host organization where he/she is not presently, and has not previously been, employed. Exceptions to this must be a bona fide new experience and with the consent of the chairperson.
- AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT MUST SEEK PRIOR APPROVAL FROM THE OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL STUDENT AND SCHOLAR SERVICES IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE IN AN INTERNSHIP.
- The internship may be done more than once but each time the student must register for JOU 4946 and must obtain permission of the faculty internship advisor.
Compensation: Compensation is not required.
Planning the Internship
The student who wishes to seek an internship must:
- Discuss the type of internship desired with the faculty internship advisor to determine if he or she will have met the eligibility requirements both in terms of courses taken and in terms of GPA and get prior approval.
- Contact media outlets to inquire about their internship process and availability.
- Apply for an internship.
Beginning the Internship
The student who wishes to begin an internship must:
- Obtain a Permit Number to register for JOU4946 from the faculty internship advisor.
- Have the school’s Internship Contract completed by the internship host supervisor and the faculty internship advisor. The faculty internship advisor shall keep the contract as part of the internship documentation. Click HERE for the Internship Contract.
The internship host supervisor shall:
- Interview internship candidates and advise the SCJ of his/her selection
- Provide a statement of the job description.
- Complete and sign the Internship Contract and return it to the student who will give it to the faculty internship advisor.
The faculty internship advisor shall:
- Ensure that the student has all of the required pre-requisites and that the student is embarking on a pre-approved and valid experience.