During this multi-semester program, NBCU Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Fellows will enroll in a series of Special Topics courses that will explore the responsibility of journalists in advancing equity and fairness in reporting. Course topics will focus on issues related to social justice, racial justice, gender equality, immigration, housing inequity, among others.
Participating students will be eligible to complete one fellowship semester or all four and are eligible to receive a $2500 stipend each term of participation to help cover any course/program-related expenses, as well as, student housing, tuition subsidies, academic materials, field equipment, and program-related travel.
The curriculum structure will include:
- Workshops and guest lectures by NBC Group journalists, executives and management
- Immersive, in-field experience covering stories related to diversity issues for publication on the South Florida Media Network and/or other publications
- Formal academic instruction: students register each term of participation into one 3-credit Special Topics course that can be counted toward a pending major-specific or elective requirement.
Students are expected to fully commit to attend all lectures, workshops, trainings, and events of this program during their participation semester(s).
- Complete the online NBCU Diversity, Equity & Inclusion application
DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR COHORT STARTING FALL 2021 IS WEDNESDAY, MARCH 17
- Complete a personal interview. This will be scheduled by the Journalism + Media office once your application has been reviewed should you meet our criteria.
Once your application has been reviewed and the interview conducted, you will be notified of your acceptance via email with the permission number to
register for the associated course and next steps in the process. This is a highly competitive fellowship, so make sure to apply early!
Still have questions? Contact us and we will be glad to provide more information.