The Lee Caplin School of Journalism & Media scholarships reward academic merit and reduce financial need for many students—undergrad and graduate, incoming and current.
Each year, more than $100,000 in scholarships in amounts ranging from $500 to $5,000 are awarded to our students.
These scholarships are possible because of the generous donations of FIU alumni, local media companies and organizations, and other benefactors who want to help worthy students complete their educations.
We offer a selection of scholarships that are tailored for you, and reward ambition, creativity, and hard work. Find your ideal scholarship below.
How to Apply for Scholarships
- Go to https://fiu.academicworks.com
- Sign in with your MyAccounts username and password.
- Complete the general application.
- Select the Opportunities tab and select Ours. Apply to all appropriate opportunities.
- In addition, AcademicWorks will search our database of awards and recommend scholarships in which the students may be eligible. Some students will be automatically entered into the applicant pool; others may need to answer additional questions first.
APPLICATION PERIOD takes place during each spring semester for the subsequent academic year.
Applications will be reviewed and selection made by the Journalism & Media Scholarship Committee in accordance with specific scholarship requirements. Students should check Academic Works for specific opportunity deadlines. In addition to the individual scholarship stipulations, students receiving a scholarship must attend an annual student celebration and awards ceremony held in March (exact date to be announced).
Undergraduate and Graduate Internal Scholarships
- Gannett Foundation & National Association for Hispanic Journalists Scholarship (NAHJ members only)
- Janet Chusmir Memorial Scholarship
- Dean’s Inter Scholar Ignite Fund
- Senator Gwen Margolis Scholarship
Undergraduate and Graduate External Scholarships
Undergraduate Internal Scholarships
- Abel Mestre Scholarship
- Actualidad Radio Broadcast Journalism Scholarship
- CBS 4/WFOR-TV Scholarship
- Dr. David A. Kopenhaver Scholarship
- John Wolin Scholarship
- The South Florida Black Journalists Association (SFBJA) Scholarship