Master of Science in Mass Communication- Spanish-Language Journalism
B.S. & M.S. (4+1) Degree Pathway
What is 4+1?
The 4+1 pathway is designed for highly-motivated students who want to begin their graduate degree in Spanish-Language Journalism (SLJ) while still completing their bachelor’s degree. Students who are focused on their career paths and want to get a head start in the competitive communications world are the best candidates for this program.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
All 4+1 degree pathway applicants must be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking undergraduate program prior to review of supplemental applications for the M.S. in Mass Communications program.
- 3.25 FIU GPA
- Completed at least 75 credits
- Cannot go into excess completing coursework or already be in excess (projected to be) before declaring
- Up to 12 credits of graduate level courses can be taken to count towards both undergraduate and graduate requirements
- No more than 6 credits of graduate level courses can be taken in one semester
Coursework and Class Load
Classes for the undergraduate portion of the 4+1 degree pathway are offered in-person, face-to-face in the evenings at the Biscayne Bay Campus (Fall/Spring terms only). Upon graduation, students have the option of transferring to the SLJ fully online or creative tracks to complete their graduate degree.
- MMC 6402- Theories of Mass Communication
- MMC 5540- Applied Research
- PUR 6607- Global Strategic Communication Management
- MMC 6213- Ethics and Social Responsibility
Tuition and Fees
- These courses will be charged at the FIU Graduate School rate.
- Qualifying students can receive financial aid to cover the undergraduate credit hours of their 4+1 degree pathway enrollment. The difference in cost for the graduate level credits are not covered by traditional financial aid. Students who have scholarship, grant and other funding in their student financials account can apply these funds to the cost of the graduate credit hours.
- Contact FIU One Stop/Office of Financial Aid for more information
- Complete the 4+1 Degree pathway one page application and send to email@example.com
- Once the application is approved at the School level, students will submit the department approved/signed application to the Graduate Admissions Department at the FIU One Stop counter located in the Student Academic Support Center (SASC) 126 along with a $30 application fee.
Students interested in learning if the 4 +1 degree pathway is right for them should contact their current advisor or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.