Inspiration

Inspiration

Inspiration is a funny thing. It can creep up on you like a tiger in the night, or it can jump out in front of you like a deer in the headlights. Inspiration can spring up from all different places, but mine tend to be from more artistic sources. I love looking at other artists’ work while paying close attention to details, colors, lines, space, mediums, materials, and craftsmanship. Seeing what others have done motivates me to make something with my hands and create art.

I visit local galleries and art showings; however, most of my favorite artists live far away. Due to the inability to always see their artwork in person I turn to the next best alternative—the Internet. Instead of explaining abstract concepts that inspire me I will show you work that really motivates me to do more than just mediocre work.

1. Dana Tanamachi – http://tanamachistudio.com

Her work speaks for itself. Her use of a simple piece of chalk to freehand typography is amazing. She draws what she feels without knowing what’s popular or trendy. Tanamachi draws beautiful typography that has been used in a variety of spaces including retail storefronts, marathon banners, and magazine covers.

I saw her speak in Miami, and I was really blown away how down-to-earth she was (and presumably still is). She joked around about how she started as an illustrator, which turned into typographer due to a house party she attended. I love her old school style of hand lettering, and after watching practically all her videos I get completely inspired to draw anything that comes to my mind. I really enjoy using chalk to explore new lettering techniques since it is so forgiving to the artist. I can practice and perfect my lettering without the permanency of paint or pen looming in my mind.

Her work has opened my eyes to the modernity of “art”. It gives me hope into thinking that one day I can make my art into a career rather than a hobby.

1. Share Some Candy – http://www.sharesomecandy.com

This little website is so neat. It’s off the beaten path, but it really does have little artsy knick-knacks from under-the-radar artists. There are all different types of kooky pieces from illustrations to watercolors to sculptures to origami. I really like this site just to see how creative people get with everyday objects. Seeing how artists push the limit on a microcosmic level is great to get the creative juices flowing.

1. Kelly Kerwick – http://kellykerwick.com

Kerwick is really a great artist to look at for integrated applications of art. She has complete sets of stationaries, postcards, posters, as well as paintings. I love her use of pastels and typography. She combines trendy and traditional looks so well which really pushes me into thinking outside of the box.

These are just three sources of inspiration out of the millions out there. The ability to instantly see the artwork of others is truly an advantage in today’s competitive world. Looking at what’s out there only encourages me to continue pushing myself to create new and innovative pieces in my portfolio.

By |2015-04-28T12:11:25-04:00April 28th, 2015|Uncategorized|Comments Off on Inspiration