Dear SCJ Family,
We are excited to share with you recent developments that will lead to greater opportunities for all students.
Earlier this year, the School of Journalism and Mass Communication integrated with the College of Architecture + The Arts (CARTA). The integration came about through a collaborative, faculty-led process involving professional staff, students, and alumni.
Students in the newly named School of Communication and Journalism will continue with their current courses of study and the names of existing majors and degrees will remain unchanged. This confluence of talent, expertise, and additional resources, however, will better prepare our students for the 21st century economy of information, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
Specifically, the integration enables us to
- Invest in improvements in critical performance indicators such as student retention, time-to-graduation, and employment upon graduation.
- Increase the number of full-time faculty.
- Generate additional course offerings on both the MMC and BBC campuses.
- Foster interdisciplinary teaching, research, and creative activities.
- Launch new degree offerings.
- Leverage the success of the community-based partnerships, such as the Royal@FIU World Stage Collaboration, CARTA Miami Beach Urban Studios, CARTA Innovation Lab, and the Coconut Grove Playhouse.
The SCJ and CARTA have both been defined by our commitment to provide students with the most innovative, cutting-edge curriculum designed to prepare them for success upon graduation. This integration is a logical and exciting progression of that commitment and will result in a unique, national brand exemplifying the very best FIU has to offer!
Brian Schriner Juliet Pinto
Dean, CARTA Interim Executive Director, SCJ