Master of Science in Mass Communication
B.S. & M.S. (4+1) Degree Pathway
What is 4+1?
The 4+1 pathway is designed for highly-motivated students who want to begin their graduate degree in Spanish-language Journalism (SLJ) while still completing their bachelor’s degree. Students who are focused on their career paths and want to get a head start in the competitive communications world are the best candidates for this pathway.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
All 4+1 pathway applicants must be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking undergraduate program prior to review of supplemental applications for the M.S. in Mass Communication.
- 3.25 FIU GPA
- Completed at least 75 credits
- Cannot go into excess completing coursework or already be in excess (projected to be) before declaring
- Up to 12 credits of graduate level courses can be taken to count towards both undergraduate and graduate requirements
Coursework and Class Load
Classes for the undergraduate portion of the 4+1 pathway are offered in-person, face-to-face in the evenings at the Biscayne Bay Campus (Fall/Spring terms only).
- PUR 6005- Theories of Mass Communication
- COM 6318- Applied Research
- PUR 6607- Global Strategic Communication Management
- PUR 6206- Ethics and Social Responsibility
Tuition and Fees
- These courses will be charged at the FIU Graduate School rate.
- Qualifying students can receive financial aid to cover the undergraduate credit hours of their 4+1 enrollment. The difference in cost for the graduate level credits are not covered by traditional financial aid. Students who have scholarship, grant and other funding in their student financials account can apply these funds to the cost of the graduate credit hours.
- Contact FIU One Stop/Office of Financial Aid for more information
- Complete the Accelerated Bachelor’s-Master’s Degree Pathway online application through MyFIUportal one page application and send to email@example.com
- A $30 application fee is paid via the MyFIUportal.
Students interested in learning if the 4 +1 pathway is right for them should contact their current advisor or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.